Buffalo chicken dip is a creamy and spicy appetizer featuring shredded chicken, a tangy hot sauce, mixed with cream cheese, and often combined with shredded cheese and ranch dressing.
It's baked until hot and bubbly and served with chips, bread, and crunchy vegetables. It's the perfect dip for football season.
This dip is a great party food and so is this Black Bean Dip for your next Super Bowl party.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy to Make: This recipe is easy to prepare with minimal effort.
- Flavorful: With the bold flavors of buffalo sauce and ranch dressing, this creates a delicious cheesy dip.
- Crowd-Pleaser: This dip makes the perfect appetizer and party food for family gatherings such as potlucks or your next Super Bowl party.
What's In Buffalo Chicken Dip
Simple ingredients are used in this easy dip recipe perfect for Sunday Game Day and family gatherings.
- Cream cheese
- Cooked and shredded chicken - leftover chicken, chicken breasts, and chopped rotisserie chicken works well for this recipe
- Buffalo wing sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese - cheddar cheese and blue cheese crumbles can be used as well
See the recipe card for the full ingredient amounts and directions.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
To make this creamy buffalo chicken dip recipe follow these easy directions:
Make the chicken mixture- Mix the shredded chicken with the buffalo sauce in a large bowl.
Add the chicken to a dish- Layer the chicken mixture on the bottom of a casserole dish and set it aside.
Make the cream cheese mixture- In a small saucepan, melt the cream cheese over low heat and mix in the ranch dressing until well combined. To make this recipe gluten-free, make sure to use a gluten-free ranch dressing product.
Layer the cream cheese mixture- Once the cream cheese mixture is melted and combined well with the dressing, pour it over the chicken mixed with hot sauce.
Sprinkle on the cheese and bake- Lastly, sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the entire dish and place it in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Serve hot with tortilla chips or vegetables.
To store, allow the dip to cool before transferring leftover dip into an airtight container and storing it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Substitutions and Variations in Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Cream Cheese Alternatives: Greek yogurt, sour cream
- Cheese Options: Sharp cheddar, mozzarella, blue cheese crumbles
- Dressing Swaps: Blue cheese dressing
- Chicken: Chicken that has been shredded is the most common type of chicken used but canned chicken, and rotisserie chicken are all great options.
- Spice Level: Make it more spicy by using an extra spicy buffalo sauce such as Frank's RedHot Xtra Hot Sauce or to make it less spicy, use less hot sauce and more cream cheese or shredded cheese to take away the heat.
Tips for Making Dip
When making Buffalo Chicken Dip and other dips using cream cheese, make sure to start with room temperature cream cheese. Room-temperature cream cheese blends smoother and easier together with the other ingredients.
When adjusting the thickness of your dip, adjust the cream cheese and the cheese in the recipe to the desired texture and creaminess.
To make this dip even easier, make Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip by layering the ingredients in the slow cooker and cooking on HIGH for 1 ½ to two hours, stir, top with cheese, and let it cook for an additional 15 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Ranch Dip
Crunchy dippers - Tortilla chips, crackers, and pretzels are great dippers for this dip.
Bread dippers - Crusty baguette slices, pita bread, or pita chips.
Vegetable dippers - Carrot sticks, celery sticks, peppers, and other crunchy vegetables make great dippers.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make buffalo chicken dip in a slow cooker?
To make slow cooker buffalo chicken dip, layer all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for one and a half hours to two hours before stirring and topping with additional cheese and cooking for 15 minutes more.
What are the basic ingredients required for buffalo chicken dip?
This easy buffalo chicken dip recipe uses shredded chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, and cheese. Blue cheese dressing can be used in place of ranch and you can use your favorite cheese variety.
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas - quesadillas are great finger foods for a football party!
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup - this beefy soup is delicious and is an easy recipe to make and serve for game day.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, shredded
- ½ cup Buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2 cups Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the shredded chicken and buffalo sauce.
- Using a saucepan, melt the cream cheese and add the ranch dressing.
- Spread the chicken mixture into the bottom of a small casserole dish.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the casserole dish filling.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
You can use rotisserie chicken or canned chicken as a substitute for the shredded chicken breasts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 532mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is the lead recipe developer and photographer for PopularRecipes.com. With her 10+ years of experience creating, testing, and photographing recipes, she has become an artist in developing wholesome, family-friendly meals that are a hit with both kids and parents.