Enjoy a slice of this chocolate chip cookie cake, where the center is soft and rich, the edges are chewy, and it's frosted with chocolate buttercream. This giant chocolate chip cookie cake recipe doesn't require any chilling and it's the perfect birthday cake for cookie lovers.
One of my favorite types of desserts, this chocolate chip cookie cake recipe is based on my personal favorite baked good - chewy chocolate chip cookies. If you're a fan of chocolate chip cookies, you'll want to try this recipe!
What is a Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie
Other dishes work well when making this cookie cake as well but just be sure to keep an eye on the baking time as the baking time will differ from an 8-inch dish to a 9-inch dish.
Disposable pie dishes work well for bake sales or giving a chocolate chip cookie cake as a gift.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- No Chilling Required: Make the dough, place it in the pie plate, and bake, no chilling required!
- Easy to Decorate: Decorate with colorful sprinkles for a birthday cake, or decorate to fit your special occasion.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Ideal for a birthday celebration, parties, or holidays such as Valentine's Day, this dessert is easy to make and delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
All the ingredients that you would expect to find in a chocolate chip cookie recipe are found in this giant cookie version.
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Egg + egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- Baking soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
- Cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
You can make vanilla buttercream instead of omitting the cocoa powder and changing the ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in the frosting recipe.
How to make a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Preheat the oven and prepare the dish- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 9-inch pie dish lightly.
TIP: You can use a greased springform pan, 9-inch cake pan, or pizza pan in place of the pie dish.
Combine the wet ingredients- Cream the room temperature butter together with the brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large bowl on medium speed with an electric mixer until the ingredients are combined well.
Beat in the egg, and the extra egg yolk and add in the vanilla, The mixture will become fluffy when mixed well.
Combine the dry ingredients- Combine the spooned & leveled flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture- Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet mixture just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer the cookie dough to the baking dish- Place the raw cookie dough in the greased pie dish, gently pressing the dough into the dish to create an even layer. Gently press extra chocolate chips into the top of the cake if desired.
Bake in the preheated oven- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes, or until the edges are golden. You want the center to still be soft so that it will be a chewy cookie. Bake time will vary depending on your oven.
Cool the chocolate chip cookie cake- Place the cookie cake on a wire rack and allow the cookie cake to cool completely before using a knife to run along the edges before gently removing it from the pie dish.
Decorate with chocolate buttercream frosting or as desired.
Make the chocolate buttercream- Beat the softened unsalted butter and add in the cocoa powder. Mix in the vanilla extract and slowly beat in the confectioner's sugar.
Add the milk a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Decorate with the chocolate frosting as desired. A 1M piping tip fitted with a piping bag was used to pipe the frosting onto this cake. The buttercream for this recipe does not make a large amount but it does make enough to decorate this 9-inch pie cookie cake.
TIP: Parchment paper can be used to line the bottom and sides of your pan of chocolate for easy removal and cutting of the cookie cake.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you freeze Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake?
Yes, chocolate chip cookie cake can be easily frozen! Simply wrap the the cookie cake whole in plastic wrap or cut it into wedges and wrap the individual slices in plastic wrap before placing it in a freezer safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
Can a cookie cake be baked in a different pan?
A chocolate chip cookie cake can be baked in any 9-inch cake pan, springform pan, pie pan, or even a pizza pan. Make sure to grease the bottom and sides of the pan or using parchment paper to prevent sticking.
How long does a cookie cake stay good?
When stored in an airtight container, this chocolate chip cookie cake will last for about 4 days at room temperature. For longer storage, place the container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This cookie cake is great for celebrating but check out these other cookie recipes perfect for any time of the year.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- ¾ cups unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11 ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
Cookie Cake Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 9-inch pie dish lightly.
- Cream the softened butter together with the brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large bowl until the ingredients are combined well.
- Beat in the egg, and the egg yolk and add in the vanilla, The mixture will become fluffy when mixed well.
- Combine the spooned & leveled flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet mixture just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Place the cookie dough in the greased pie dish, gently pressing the dough into the dish to create an even layer.
- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- Allow the cookie cake to cool completely before using a knife to run along the edges before gently removing it from the pie dish.
Decorate with chocolate buttercream frosting or as desired.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Directions:
- Beat the softened unsalted butter and add in the cocoa powder.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and slowly beat in the confectioner's sugar.
- Add the milk a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Decorate as desired.
You can use a 9-inch springform, cake pan, or pizza pan for this recipe. Make sure to grease your pan of choice to avoid sticking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 334mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 41gProtein: 5g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is the lead recipe developer and photographer for PopularRecipes.com. With her 10+ years of experience creating, testing, and photographing recipes, she has become an artist in developing wholesome, family-friendly meals that are a hit with both kids and parents.