M&M Pretzel Bites fuse the salty crunch of pretzels with smooth chocolate, creating an irresistible sweet-salty snack. This simple, three-ingredient treat turns pretzels into a chocolatey delight with Hershey's Hugs and a colorful M&M finish.
This easy treat is a great addition to cookie trays as well as this Christmas White Trash recipe. Both of these recipes are a sweet and salty combination and very easy to make.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Sweet and salty flavor combination
- Crunchy and creamy textures
- Only three ingredients needed
- Quick and easy to make
- Perfect for gatherings
- Fun for all ages - even the little ones can help!
- M&M pretzels are great gifts
Ingredients in M&M Pretzels Treats
You only need 3 simple ingredients to make these pretzel M&M hugs.
- Hug Kisses
- red and green M&M candies
- Pretzel snaps or rounds
How to make M&M Pretzels
Place the salty pretzels on the cookie sheet in rows, fitting as many as you can.
Unwrap and place one Hug candy in the center of each square.
Carefully place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5 to 6 minutes.
Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and test one of the chocolates by gently pressing an M&M into the center of the chocolate. If it does not give, place the baking sheet back in the oven for another 30 seconds.
Once the chocolate is ready, place the M&M's on top of the chocolates and gently press the candies down.
Transfer the pretzel M&M hugs to the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
Store in an airtight container.
Substitutions and Variations
- Chocolate: If you are out of Hershey's Hugs or simply want a different taste, consider swapping them for Rolo candies for a gooey caramel flavor or different varieties of regular Hershey kisses like milk or dark chocolate.
- Pretzels: Square pretzels are perfect for holding the chocolate and M&M and it's what I use when I make them but you can use round pretzels if you'd like. Just ensure that the chocolate has hardened before handling the M&M pretzels.
- M&Ms: Red and green M&M's are perfect for Christmas but any color M&M's will work well depending on the occasion or holiday such as Valentine's Day. If you want a nutty flavor, peanut M&M's are a great choice.
Variations in Pretzel Hugs
- Sweet and Salty Twist: Add a bit of peanut butter to the tops of the kisses hot out of the oven before placing the M&M on top or sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top of the melted chocolate to enhance the saltiness of the pretzel treats.
- Texture and Flavor: Change the flavor and texture of these yummy treats by opting to use peppermint kisses or sugar cookie kisses as the chocolate.
Storing and Gifting
Allow the pretzel treats to cool by placing them in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to firm up back up before handling. When the chocolate is hardened, take these steps to store them.
- Layer: In an airtight container, place a sheet of parchment paper between each layer of pretzel treats to prevent sticking and store them for up to 2 weeks!
- Freezer Option: For longer storage, place ta labeled and dated container of M&M pretzels with parchment paper between layers in the freezer and store for up to 2 months.
These Hershey Kiss pretzels are the perfect combination of sweet and salty and they make neighbor gifts and are great for a school snack during Christmas time.
Here are some cute ideas for gift-giving these treats:
- Place the pretzels in a decorative or plain cellophane bag and tie them with a ribbon.
- Festive tins filled with cookies for cookie exchanges with the addition of these easy treats work as great fillers and add color to the cookie trays or tins.
Frequently Asked Questions
What temperature do Hershey Kisses melt?
Designed to melt smoothly at lower temperatures, these Hershey Kisses melt perfectly at 200ºF. The kisses will soften up enough to allow the chocolate to fall without too much spreading when adding the M&M to the top.
How to make Rolo pretzels?
It's simple to make Rolo pretzels and it's very similar to how you make M&M Pretzels. Unwrap the Rolo candies and place them on the pretzels and bake them in the oven at 200ºF for 3 to 5 minutes. When out of the oven, immediately gently press a M&M into the center of each Rolo.
- 60 Hershey Hugs
- 60 pretzel snaps (or other square pretzels)
- 60 M&M's
- Preheat the oven to 200ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the salty pretzels on the cookie sheet in rows, fitting as many as you can.
- Unwrap and place one Hug candy in the center of each square.
- Carefully place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and test one of the chocolates by gently pressing an M&M into the center of the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is ready, place the M&M's on top of the chocolates and gently press the candies down.
- Transfer the pretzel M&M hugs to the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
If the chocolate does not give when placing the M&M on top of the chocolate, place the baking sheet back in the oven for another 30 seconds.
If the chocolate is too melty, allow the chocolate to firm up for a few minutes before placing the M&M's.
Bake at a low temperature of 200ºF to avoid burning or seizing the chocolate.
Swap out the red and green M&M's for other colors to match the holiday.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1 M&M Pretzel treat
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is the lead recipe developer and photographer for PopularRecipes.com. With her 10+ years of experience creating, testing, and photographing recipes, she has become an artist in developing wholesome, family-friendly meals that are a hit with both kids and parents.