Almond flour chocolate cookies are a delicious gluten free treat. These almond flour cookies combine the rich taste of chocolate and nutty flavor thanks to the almond flour. These cookies come out flavorful, chewy, and full of chocolate flavor.
These yummy cookies are great any time of year but they're also a fantastic cookie during the Christmas season, especially with someone with dietary needs. Check out these Almond Flour Cookie Recipes for more cookies with almond flour.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: These almond flour chocolate cookies are very easy to prepare and only use simple ingredients.
- Gluten-free: Almond flour is a great alternative to all purpose flour when making gluten free baked goods.
- High in protein and healthy fats: Almonds have lots of nutritional benefits including healthy fats and protein.
- Customizable: These chocolate cookies made with almond flour have chocolate chips mixed into the cookie dough. You can add as little or as many chocolate chips as you want or use slivered almonds, pecans, or walnuts in your cookies.
Ingredients in Almond Flour Chocolate Cookies
- unsalted butter softened
- brown sugar, packed
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- almond flour
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
- semisweet chocolate chips
How to Make Easy Almond Flour Chocolate Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the softened butter and sugars until creamy.
Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract until combined.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients; almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
Slowly blend the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture until the ingredients are combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Use a #40 cookie scoop (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough) to scoop the cookie dough balls. Place them onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheet and gently press the tops of the cookie dough balls to flatten the tops.
Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 9-11 minutes.
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow the cookies for at least 10 minutes before carefully moving the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Variations and Substitutions
These cookies are gluten-free because this almond flour chocolate cookie recipe is the only flour that is used. Just make sure that the rest of the ingredients you are using are gluten-free.
These almond flour cookies can be made vegan by substituting regular butter with vegan butter and using a flax egg, or another egg replacement of your choice.
To put your own twist on almond flour chocolate cookies, consider these add-ins and substitutions:
- To make a dark chocolate almond cookies recipe, swap out the semisweet chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips. The chocolate flavor will be more intense.
- To give these cookies a bit of spice, add a pinch of cinnamon.
- Add chopped nuts to add an extra nutty flavor and to add a crunchy texture to these soft cookies.
Here are some helpful tips when making this almond flour cookies recipe:
- A large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper will promote even baking and make cleanup a breeze.
- A #40 cookie scoop is helpful in getting the same-sized cookies every time. It's the best way to portion out your cookie dough.
- Soften your butter before using it in your recipe to help the ingredients blend together easily.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sea salt to complement and bring out the flavor in the cookies.
To store your freshly baked chocolate almond flour cookies, first allow them to cool completely before placing them in a container. This will prevent the container from collecting condensation from the warm cookies and making them soggy.
You can store the cookies at room temperature for up to 5 days. To make them last longer, consider placing them in the refrigerator for up to one week.
For longer storage, these cookies can be stored in a freezer-safe bag and placed in a dated and labeled freezer safe container for up to 3 months. This is a great way to make cookies ahead of the holiday season.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can almond flour cookies be made vegan?
It's easy to make these almond flour cookies vegan. To do this, replace the butter with a vegan butter substitute or coconut oil. Additionally, use a flax egg instead of a traditional egg.
To create a flax egg, mix one tablespoon of ground flaxseed with three tablespoons of water and let it sit for about 5 minutes to thicken. This mixture will create enough replacement for one egg.
What is the secret to baking with almond flour?
To produce soft and delicious almond flour cookies, avoid overmixing the cookie dough before scooping and baking. It's also important to know that almond flour is NOT a 1:1 replacement for all-purpose flour. Almond flour has a much higher fat content and behaves differently when baking.
It's important to allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them. These almond flour cookies will be very soft out of the oven and as they cool they will firm up and be much easier to handle.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour packed
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the softened butter and sugars until creamy.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients; almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly blend the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture until the ingredients are combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a #40 cookie scoop (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough) to scoop the cookie dough balls. Place them onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheet and gently press the tops of the cookie dough balls to flatten the tops.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 9-11 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow the cookies for at least 10 minutes before carefully moving the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Allow the cookies to cool and firm up before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is the lead recipe developer and photographer for PopularRecipes.com. With her 10+ years of experience creating, testing, and photographing recipes, she has become an artist in developing wholesome, family-friendly meals that are a hit with both kids and parents.