This Overnight French toast casserole is made with sliced brioche bread, and maple syrup, and has a cream cheese filling. Topping this flavorful French toast is fresh fruit including blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries.
Maple syrup pairs deliciously with this breakfast recipe and brings a rich maple flavor to the cream cheese and berries.
This recipe is the perfect recipe for an overnight breakfast for Christmas morning or for other holiday occasions such as Easter. It also makes an excellent option for Mother's Day brunch.
Instead of spending Christmas morning in the kitchen making breakfast, all the prep work is done ahead of time and the oven does all the work while you spend time with your loved ones.
This recipe was inspired by this Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake, an incredibly easy breakfast option for holiday mornings.
What is an Overnight Breakfast Casserole?
An overnight breakfast casserole is a recipe that is prepped the night before resulting in little work the morning of. This French toast casserole is a great example of what an overnight breakfast is and it's an easy recipe that takes little time.
Ingredients in French Toast
- Brioche bread - sliced makes it easier!
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Light brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Vanilla extract
- Strawberries or berries of choice
- Maple syrup
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Pecans -optional (walnuts are a good choice, too)
- Cream cheese
How to Make Overnight French Toast Casserole
Prepare the baking dish- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Prepare the brioche bread- Slice the bread into 1 inch thick slices if not using a presliced brioche bread. Layer the bread into the 9x13 dish evenly.
Make the egg mixture- In a bowl, beat the 6 eggs with the milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread- After stirring the egg mixture, evenly pour it over the brioche bread making sure to saturate all of the bread slices well.
Make the cream cheese mixture- Combine the cream cheese and the cinnamon together and drop in dollops on top of the bread.
Refrigerate- Refrigerate the French Toast casserole overnight.
The morning of baking the French toast casserole:
Preheat the oven- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
Top off with brown sugar- Uncover the casserole dish, sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the bread, and drizzle the melted butter evenly over the dish. At this point, add the chopped pecans if using.
Bake- Bake for 55 minutes. The bread should be golden brown before removing from the oven.
Allow to cool slightly- Remove from the oven and allow the casserole to cool for about 5 minutes.
Garnish and serve- Top with strawberries or desired berries, drizzle, and serve with maple syrup.
French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf brioche bread
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cup sliced strawberries or berries of choice
- ¼ cup maple syrup for serving
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- ½ cup pecans, if desired
Cream cheese topping
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice the bread into 1-inch thick slices if not using a presliced brioche bread. Layer the bread into the 9x13 dish evenly.
- In a bowl, beat the 6 eggs with the milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
- After stirring the egg mixture, evenly pour it over the brioche bread making sure to saturate all of the bread slices well.
- Combine the cream cheese and the cinnamon together and drop in dollops on the bread.
- Refrigerate the French Toast casserole overnight.
Day of baking
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Uncover the casserole dish, sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the bread, and drizzle the melted butter evenly over the dish. At this point, add the chopped pecans if using.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes. The bread should be golden brown before removing from the oven.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Top with strawberries or desired berries, drizzle, and serve with maple syrup.
Overnight French toast is best eaten right after baking due to the bread getting soggy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 217mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 35gProtein: 12g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is the lead recipe developer and photographer for PopularRecipes.com. With her 10+ years of experience creating, testing, and photographing recipes, she has become an artist in developing wholesome, family-friendly meals that are a hit with both kids and parents.