Treat yourself to Pistachio Muffins made with real pistachios & instant pudding mix. A crunchy muffin top of sugar, butter & chopped pistachios — a delight for nut lovers!
This easy muffin recipe is big on pistachio flavor and is a fun breakfast or snack for nut lovers. It also makes a fun St. Patrick's Day treat because of their beautiful green color!
What's in Pistachio Muffins?
It takes simple ingredients to make these moist muffins:
- All-purpose flour - spooned and leveled
- Baking powder
- Chopped pistachios
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Greek yogurt
- Vanilla extract
What's in Pistachio Crumb Topping?
- All-purpose flour
- Pistachio pudding mix
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
See the recipe card for the full recipe.
Pistachio Pudding Muffins
These muffins are made with pistachio-flavored instant pudding mix. These pistachio muffins also have crushed pistachios in them giving these muffins a crunch.
The instant pudding mix not only adds flavor to the muffins but also gives them a tender texture and makes them green in color. Thanks to the pudding mix, these vibrant green muffins reach their color without the use of food coloring.
How to Make Pistachio Muffins with Pudding Mix
Follow these easy steps to make these homemade pistachio muffins.
Preheat the oven- Preheat an oven to 425ºF and line two muffin pans with 16 paper liners.
Combine the wet ingredients- In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter with the granulated sugar using a hand mixer until well mixed. Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
Stir in the pudding mix and yogurt- Add in the instant pistachio pudding mix and plain Greek yogurt. Stir until all ingredients are moistened.
Combine the dry ingredients- Combine the baking powder, spooned & leveled all-purpose flour, and salt. Slowly blend in the flour mixture until combined.
Gently stir in all but ¼ cup of chopped pistachios with a spoon.
Fill the muffin tins- Divide batter equally between 16 muffin liners.
Make the pistachio crumb topping- Soften 6 tablespoons of butter and blend in the all-purpose flour, and granulated sugar. Cut the ingredients in using a fork to create a crumble.
Top the muffin batter- Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the tops of the muffins. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of chopped pistachios on top of the crumble topping.
Bake the Pistachio Muffins- Bake at 425ºF for 7 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes. Do not open the oven door. Check with a toothpick in the center of the muffins for doneness once the time is up. Avoid overbaking the muffins to prevent tough muffins.
Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. Store these pistachio muffins in an airtight container.
TIP: Use a food processor to chop the pistachio nuts easily and quickly.
What's Needed to Make Pistachio Muffins
To Make This Pistachio Muffin recipe, you will need these items to make it easier:
- Mixing bowls - Mixing bowls are essential to combine the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately before creating the muffin batter.
- Measuring cup and spoons - These tools are essential for measuring the ingredients accurately.
- Paper Muffin Liners - Paper liners are perfect for making muffins but also you can use baking spray to prevent the muffins from sticking to the inside of the muffin pan.
- Food Processor - A food processor is useful for chopping the pistachios.
- Cookie scoop - An ice cream scoop or a cookie scoop is very useful for dividing the batter equally among the muffin cups.
Storing your delicious pistachio muffins properly can make them last for short term or a long term period.
To store them short term, let the muffins cool to room temperature before wrapping them in plastic wrap or placing them in an airtight container to lock in freshness and keep the air out.
Make sure the muffins have completely cooled before placing them in the bag so that they don't get soggy from condensation.
For long term storage, let the muffins cook completely before wrapping them individually with plastic wrap and placing the wrapped muffins in a dated and labeled freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. When ready to eat the frozen muffins, set them out to reach room temperature before enjoying.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3.4 ounce box Pistachio instant pudding mix (reserve 1 tablespoon for crumb topping)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pistachios, measured then chopped (¼ cup chopped reserved for crumb topping)
Pistachio Crumb Topping
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pistachio pudding mix
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat an oven to 425ºF and line two muffin pans with 16 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter with sugar until well mixed.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
- Add in the instant pistachio pudding mix and plain Greek yogurt. Stir until all ingredients are moistened.
- Combine the baking powder, spooned & leveled all-purpose flour, and salt.
- Slowly blend in the flour mixture until combined.
- Gently stir in all but ¼ cup of chopped pistachios with a spoon.
- Divide batter equally between 16 muffin liners.
- Soften 6 tablespoons of butter and blend in the all-purpose flour, and granulated sugar.
- Cut the ingredients in using a fork to create a crumble.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the tops of the muffins.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of chopped pistachios on top of the crumble topping.
- Bake at 425ºF for 7 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes. Do not open the oven door. Check with a toothpick for doneness once the time is up.
- Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
A food processor is an easy way to chop pistachios quickly.
Adjusting the temperature will help give the muffin tops a dome shape. Keep the oven door closed while adjusting temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 23gProtein: 8g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is the lead recipe developer and photographer for PopularRecipes.com. With her 10+ years of experience creating, testing, and photographing recipes, she has become an artist in developing wholesome, family-friendly meals that are a hit with both kids and parents.