Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls Casserole combines the comforting warmth of cinnamon rolls with a layer of sweet strawberry filling and the creamy texture of cream cheese frosting.
This delicious breakfast can be turned into an overnight breakfast casserole and is baked in a cast iron skillet. This breakfast casserole is a delicious and fun twist on the classic treat, infusing each bite with the flavors of strawberries and warm cinnamon.
This cinnamon roll casserole recipe is perfect for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, and other special occasions. It's incredibly simple to make breakfast idea full of flavor making it the perfect breakfast or sweet treat to share with loved ones.
Another simple breakfast idea great for Christmas morning is this Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake, it's made with simple ingredients just like the recipe with the warm flavors of spiced apples.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Flavor: The combination of sweet and tangy strawberry filling with the warm spice of cinnamon is a delicious flavor combination. Add in the cream cheese frosting and these strawberry rolls are a match made in heaven and the perfect sweet rolls.
- Easy: This incredibly easy recipe only involves two ingredients.
- Great for special occasions: This strawberry cinnamon roll casserole is perfect for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, or just an easy and quick breakfast.
Ingredients in Cinnamon Roll Casserole with Strawberry Filling
Just three ingredients are needed to make this incredibly easy-to-make strawberry cinnamon rolls recipe:
- 2 packages of Pillsbury Grands cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting
- 2 cans of strawberry filling
- large egg - for an egg wash to create a golden brown color on top of the cinnamon rolls as the breakfast casserole bakes.
Adding sliced fresh strawberries is optional.
See the recipe card for the full directions for making this strawberry cinnamon rolls casserole.
How to Make a Cinnamon Roll Casserole with Strawberry Filling
Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease the bottom and sides of a cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet. You can also line the skillet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
Pour the strawberry filling into the bottom of the skillet and spread it evenly.
Open the canned cinnamon rolls and slice each cinnamon roll into four pieces.
Place the cinnamon roll pieces on top of the strawberry filling.
Whisk an egg in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the cinnamon rolls well.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the center of the casserole is no longer doughy.
Allow the cinnamon casserole to cool for 10 minutes before spreading the cream cheese icing over top of the cinnamon rolls.
TIP: If the tops of the rolls brown too quickly, place foil over the top of the skillet and remove it 15 minutes before the baking time is up.
Variations and Substitutions
For this recipe, Pillsbury Grands with cream cheese frosting is used because they are like classic cinnamon rolls but other versions of the canned cinnamon rolls such as the biscuit variety work just as well. Cream cheese gives the strawberries a nice balance but you can opt for the original icing if you prefer it.
You'll want to use your favorite brand of strawberry pie filling for this recipe but you can make other fruit versions including blueberry, cherry, and apple.
Toss some fresh berries on top of the cinnamon rolls before baking to create a more fruity flavor.
- Grease your cast iron or oven-safe skillet well. It'll make clean-up a breeze and will prevent the filling and cinnamon rolls from sticking.
- Use your favorite brand of pie filling. They're not all treated equally - make sure to use your favorite for the best flavor.
- Chop fresh strawberries or other fresh berries and add them to the top of the cinnamon rolls as they bake to add a burst of fresh flavor.
- If the tops of your cinnamon rolls are browning too quickly, place aluminum foil over the skillet and remove it 15 minutes before the time is up.
- Keep an eye on the center of the skillet - if at the end of the baking time the center is still doughy, bake for a few minutes longer at a time until the center is baked.
To refrigerate this strawberry cinnamon rolls casserole dish, allow it to cool completely before wrapping it in plastic wrap tightly or transferring it to an airtight container before placing it in the refrigerator.
Once refrigerated, the cinnamon roll casserole will last up for up to five days.
For longer storage, this breakfast casserole can be frozen by wrapping it tightly inside an airtight freezer-safe container and freezing it for up to one month.
When ready to reheat and enjoy, prevent the oven to 350*F, place the casserole in an oven-safe container cover with foil, and heat for about 15 minutes. Or, reheat in the microwave for a few seconds at at time until warm. If starting at frozen, allow the cinnamon roll casserole to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before warming.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's quite simple to make this strawberry cinnamon rolls casserole overnight by greasing the cast iron skillet, layering the ingredients, wrapping it tightly with plastic wrap, and placing it in the refrigerator.
When you're ready to bake the next morning, remove the prepared dish from the refrigerator, allow the casserole to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, preheat the oven, and then bake for the time in the recipe.
Adding strawberry filling to the cinnamon rolls dough adds a fruity flavor but you can sprinkle on brown sugar or create a cinnamon sugar mixture to give the dish more of a warm flavor.
Fresh strawberries and other fresh fruit can be added to cinnamon rolls by either adding them to the bottom of the dish as directed in this recipe or by unrolling the cinnamon rolls, adding a layer of strawberry filling, rolling the dough back up, and then bake.
- 2 packages of 5 count Pillsbury Grands Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese frosting
- 2 cans strawberry filling
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease the bottom and sides of a cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet. You can also line the skillet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Pour the strawberry filling into the bottom of the skillet and spread it evenly.
- Open the canned cinnamon rolls and slice each cinnamon roll into four pieces.
- Place the cinnamon roll pieces on top of the strawberry filling.
- Whisk an egg in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the cinnamon rolls well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the center of the casserole is no longer doughy.
- Allow the cinnamon casserole to cool for 10 minutes before spreading the cream cheese icing over top of the cinnamon rolls.
TIP: If the tops of the rolls brown too quickly, place foil over the top of the skillet and remove it15 minutes before the baking time is up.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is the lead recipe developer and photographer for PopularRecipes.com. With her 10+ years of experience creating, testing, and photographing recipes, she has become an artist in developing wholesome, family-friendly meals that are a hit with both kids and parents.